Sunday, November 6, 2016

Two More Weeks!

Only two more weeks until our Thanksgiving break!  Sorry for the late blog today, I had a busy weekend with having my first ever garage sale yesterday and then going down to Canton today for some fun shopping with my girls!  They are getting out some cute Christmas items!  If you haven't ever been down to the First Monday Trade Days, it would be a fun trip for you that is only about 45min. to an hour away!  Here is a link, in case you might like to check out anything online!
http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/first-monday-trade-days

Week of:  November 7th-11th, 2016

Donate blue jeans our school drive and wear jeans all week!!
Monday- Fire Drill/Lockdown
Site-Based Committee - 3:15 

Tuesday -  Election Day!

Wednesday - Vertical Meeting - 3:15 
Real School Garden Trainer Coming

Thursday - Brett Out (PM)

Friday -   Jeans Day with nice shirt! (supporting with red, white or blue if you like for our Veterans)
Texan Town
Veteran's Day Ceremony - 9:00am - Gym


Important Reminders

Donate blue jeans!!
We are doing a jean drive in order to support our project for our artist coming in December as well as will be donating the jeans to a good cause.  Feel free to wear jeans any day this week if you bring in one or more pairs as donations!!

At this time. . .no visitors
I checked with our district people and at this time, we do not have any visitors coming this week on the scheduled dates. 
However, we will are on the schedule again for December, so this is a great time to get any hallway displays looking great to show off your learning!  Please remember that it is an expectation to have an area somewhere in the hallway displaying qr codes or links to each of your learner's digital portfolios.  I love seeing what has been up so for displaying portfolios, engineering, and various learning happening in your rooms!  

Trying something new with Sonic!
Our very own Tina Berumen had a great idea from her previous campus in which the staff could order Sonic and they would deliver to the school!  She contacted the Sonic here in Coppell and we are going to try it out! 
Thank you Tina!  

Click on the following link to place your order if you like for this week!
 

All drinks are $2 and will be delivered to the Library, Friday at 9:30am-ish
$2 due to Berumen by 8am on Friday 
to confirm order.

From the Desk of BS…
From the desk of BS…Volume 10 
(the section is an excerpt taken from USA Today) 

Jason Heyward’s speech spurs Cubs during World Series Game 7 rain delay 

Cleveland- As the Chicago Cubs trudged out of the dugout and back toward the locker room to wait out the rain delay, Jason Heyward herded his teammates into a tiny weight room. There were no coaches, no front-office types. Just the players, all 25 of them crammed into a tiny room with bright, white walls, low ceilings and row upon row of gleaming weights. The Cubs had blown a three-run lead, and momentum would be squarely in the Cleveland Indians’ favor when they returned for the 10th inning tied at 6. The 103 games they’d won during the regular season, the 3-1 deficit they’d erased, the century of futility and despair they were about to put to rest – all of it was slipping away. 

With his teammates surrounding him, Heyward began to speak. He’s a quiet man, Heyward, preferring to let the other veterans be the vocal leaders in the clubhouse. So when he does speak, his words have a gravity that commands full attention.



“I just wanted them to remember how good they were, how good we are,” Heyward said as his teammates sprayed champagne around him following Chicago’s historic 8-7 win Wednesday night. “Know how proud of them I was and that I loved them. That I mean it from the bottom of my heart.” 
Looking around the room, Heyward said that every single one of them had played a part in bringing the Cubs to this point. Whether it was soon-to-be NL MVP Kris Bryant, rookie Albert Almora or veteran backup catcher Miguel Montero, Heyward reminded them, the Cubs had gotten this far as a team. They had everything they needed to win, Heyward said, so long as they believed in each other and played for one another. “He spoke up and said this is about your teammates,” David Ross said. “He just said, `We’re the best team in baseball for a reason. Continue to play our game, support one another. These are your brothers here, fight for your brothers, lift them up, continue to stay positive. We’ve been doing this all year so continue to be us.’ 

The rest is history and the Cubs went on to win, coming back from a 3-1 deficit and taking the World Series for the first time since 1908. As we are getting into the grind of the school year and the holidays are just around the corner, let’s keep in mind the encouraging words that we can continue to use with our struggling students. This time of year can be hard for them and sometime they just want to know that we care and love them. Please see the links below for some ideas and tips for struggling students: 

Thanks again for all you do and enjoy your weekend- BS

Shout Outs!
Thank you Becky and Beth for taking over the Jack-o-lantern jog for me while I was out sick!!! Y'all are so awesome and I truly appreciate it and y'all!!! - -Ashley

Renee and I-Team Club, Thank you so much for having your I-team club help K1 with their Google Sites!  We had so much fun with your club.  I really appreciate all your help!  Thank you!
Lorri B.

Tina, Thank you so much for setting up MackinVia for our Kindergartners.  It is so easy for our learners to access.  We really appreciate your help!  Thank you!
Lorri B. & Katy

Marie and Kelly- thank you for bringing your kiddos upstairs to work on coding spheros.  I was so impressed with how fast they picked up coding and how hard they worked to solve the mazes!

Thank you to those who participated in the Padlet webinar!

Catherine, Thank you for helping your GT learners with their higher level math problem solving work.  They are having so much fun and working so hard.  They love surprising me with how much they have completed when I come to work with them!

Thank you 5th grade for helping our 1st grade friends set up their sites!  You guys are the best!!

Tina, I am loving the Duck Vs. Squid campaign going on!  The 5th grade posters look great (thanks Marly and Morgan).  I cannot wait until election day!

5th grade teachers - Thank you for letting your big kids help 1st grade with their Google Sites and QR codes.  We appreciate all your help!

Thank you Candace for creating a wonderful lesson with the spheroes for our first grade friends!  You Rock!

Thank you, thank you to Brett Shelby, Laura Fairchild, Sherri Kingsley, Kasey Kemp, Kristan Hruby, Rachel Lim, Ashlin Bowman, Julie McCullough, Renee Rohani, and
Candace Coffee for taking CPR training!  Thank you for your time and commitment to the safety of others!!

Catherine Kim You are always stretching and learning new things.  Thank you for your growth mindset.

Casey Wagner I appreciate your friendly/kind words to me every day.

Fourth grade team - Keep up the good work on the writing process.

Kristan - Thank you so much for helping me out with my friend! Also, my kids and I loved you coming into our class to do a Number Talk! It was so amazing :)
Kasey Kemp Thank you for starting the coaching process with me. Kristan

Renee and the Junior I Team - thank you so much for coming to help us with our google sites during Texan Town!  Your kids were wonderful and understood the directions you gave so well! Thank you for taking the time to teach them how to help us! You are wonderful!  Love- Kindergarten

Tina - Thank you so much for setting up a MackinVia group for our Thanksgiving Unit!  You are wonderful! We appreciate you taking the time to make the group, teach us, and help us teach our students how to use it! Thank you!  Love, Lauren and Kim

Lorri -  thank you so much for the special treat the other morning!! You're so thoughtful and know just how to brighten everyone's day! 💗 A hall

Lauren, thank you so much for helping me out this week with my little one being sick!  So thankful to work with such wonderful friends! Love you!

Lori, Thank you for always being the voice of reason yet so encouraging!!! I love getting to work with you!!

Kelly, thank you so much for such an awesome idea to display! You saved the day and reduced my stress level for sure!

Thank you to all my wonderful TCE friends for taking the "Chicago Cubs" journey with me this year.  Sometimes it is so hard to be away from my Chicago family and I loved that my TCE family shared in my passion for the Cubs.  THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!
Lori

Marly for always being my "go to" for language arts questions. Kristan

Kristan, I loved having you in my room when my kids were making their Squid for President posters! It is so fun to co-teach with you, and my kids love talking to you about their learning! Thanks for coming! -Marly

Meredith, I am so glad that I stopped by your classroom the day that you were doing Quizizz so that I could learn from you. I love that tool, and my kids do too! -Marly

Tina & Leigh Ann, Thank you for sharing so many great tech resources with us! I feel like I have already tried so many new things because of your ideas and suggestions. Our kids love Tricider and Mentimeter and I have Dotstorming on the list next! -Marly



November Birthdays
Katie Tonemah- 3rd
Marie Sork - 7th
Marina Chicas - 8th
Beth Dilley - 11th
Laura Fairchild - 24th
Kristan Hruby - 24th
Renee Rohani - 25th

Curriculum Ideas
As you continue working with your learners on reading and writing, think about how you are tying in inference strategies  and how having your learners justify their thinking with evidence from the text can strengthen their understanding and build on comprehension.  Here are few examples:












Final Quotes for the Week
As we head into the holiday season, I always find myself reflecting on my life and how grateful I am. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment